Sara El Kareh
As a manager, all the things you do will be noted in the minds of your employees; the decisions you take, the reactions to every issue and your loyalty to your promises. It is not necessarily that you are not behaving the right way, neither will they report it to the HR, however, these things reflect who you really are as a leader and the show your authority and power.
Take a look over the following things to have an idea about what your employees are searching for:
- They want to see you cry. Make sure you don’t, even if it were because of joy. Of course, shedding tears means you’re a human being, however, they reflect weakness. Employees should not see you cry, just wait until you get home.
- Employees want your support; it means the world to them. For example, when you give positive feedback about a job they have handled, and other departments did not like it or gave negative comments in the assigned meeting, you should do nothing but support them, fight for them and back them up. They need you at that time more than ever.
- Changing decisions. When your employees realize that you change your decisions from one day to another, they won’t be taking other rules or decisions you make into consideration anymore.
- Inequality. Make sure you never prefer an employee over the others or give credibility to only one person every time. No one is your favorite. Or else, it will destroy your credibility.
- Be considerate when necessary and it doesn’t mean you should be easy with everything. For example, if your employee requested half day off because she/he has urgent matters, do not refuse and just manage to get everything done even with their absence.
- Stay cool. Being cool doesn’t mean cool outfit or cool sunglasses. It means being cool with you reaction towards issues or shocking news. You do not have hit yourself or shout about any particular news. Your employees are not supposed to know everything; however, if it is of their business, then hold a meeting and go straight to the point.
- Sweating. They like to see their boss working hard. It means that you are ready to work hard and make efforts to get things done, just as they do.