We all feel excited when we get promoted; however, as a new supervisor, we will be a bit disappointed when we find ourselves unable to execute our new ideas directly. We know how more motivated and productive our staff will be if they were provided with new software or offered flexible working hours. Unfortunately, we do not always have the power to give such decisions, but we can use many other methods without resorting to the boss, and which ensure to increase our employees’ motivation and productivity:
- A regular reminder of goals: When our employees lose track of the objectives they are working for and the ways to achieve them, their motivation will surely drop. Therefore, we should post them with the goals and make sure they can easily be reminded of them daily, and celebrate the improvement as much as possible. This will definitely motivate the team.
- Positive attitude: Your employees will imitate you in everything you may do. Therefore, make sure you spread the positive attitude and not the negative one. When they see you are active and optimistic- even if you think you should fake it- it will be reflected on the environment of the staff, the workplace and the productivity of the employees. Do not forget that motivation’s key factor is excited employees.
- Sharing thoughts with employees: When you ask your staff for their suggestions, feedbacks, point of views and opinions, they will be motivated, because they will notice that their insights are valued. You will be surprised by the increase in motivated productivity when you execute their ideas and give them credit. However, you must be clear about how much you are capable of doing. For example, if one of your employees suggests that the department should be moved to another building, you can surely do nothing about it since it is not under your control.
- Employees’ freedom: An essential motivation is that an employee gets in the flow; in other words, get totally absorbed by a mission he is assigned to. It is just an amazing feeling. Therefore, as a new supervisor, you should know how not to take your employees out of this “zone”. This means that you can’t be the supervisor who distracts his employees; do not check on them constantly. Do not force them to attend unimportant meetings. Do not micromanage every task they are working on. This will, without any doubt, kill their motivation.
- Helpful feedbacks: As a new supervisor, you might feel a little bit hesitant to usefully criticize your staff, since you think it will be offending and de-motivating. Yet your employees will be missing the chance to learn from their mistakes and will lose their job satisfaction. DO not forget to give many positive feedbacks and evaluations as well. It is not a good idea to keep on giving negative comments; this will decrease your team’s motivation.