Sara El Kareh
To improve your thinking abilities and become a better thinker, you need to exercise your brain, just as you do for your muscles. Here are easy ways to enhance your thinking skills:
- Reduce TV watching: most of us tend to stay long hours watching TV doing nothing else. While watching TV, you do not use your brain capacities and do not allow it to recharge. However, all the energy of your brain is being used without any effort of exercise. This is why you feel sleepy and tired after spending hours in front of the television and you won’t be able to do any other effort. If you want to do something to relax, read a book instead, or listen to music. When you have people around, just ignore the television and get involved into the conversation.
- Unlike what most of us think, preferring to read a book instead of exercising is not the right choice. When we exercise, our body will be making efforts and our head will be getting cleared, giving our brain a new wave of energy. After exercising, you will feel more energetic and have more ability to concentrate.
- Reading mentally stimulating books is really efficient to train our brain. In other words, books that require more concentration are the best thing for improving our mental skills. When you read a classic novel, your way of thinking becomes more precise. When you don’t understand a word, don’t hesitate to search for its meaning. Re-read sentences when you’re not sure you understood until you become familiar with the style of the author. This challenge is definitely more interesting than reading any other type of books.
- Sleeping plays an important role in concentration. When you do not get enough sleep, you won’t be energetic enough to focus. Sleeping not more than 8 hours will refresh your brain and lead to more productivity and concentration. Moreover, waking up early brings your mental activity to its maximum levels. Certainly, it is very helpful to take a nap for 10-20 minutes when you feel tired. It will be refreshing.
- You can organize your thoughts by just having some time alone and thinking about all your responsibilities. We usually get busy nagging about everything that we almost forget that we are exhausted. Spending time on your own can help you prioritize important stuff and let go of all unnecessary thoughts. It is all about a little bit of solitude. It may be a walk, a morning run or a daily exercise. Try to figure out what best fits you.
Follow the above tips and notice how your concentration and mental activity is improves without any difficulties.