Dr. Melhem Harmouch
It is said that laughing is the best medicine. In fact, it is the best healer for the memory, brain and body. Emotional responses are limited to certain parts of the brain; however, laughter holds several areas in all the brain. When you listen to jokes and when you create punch lines, you are helping the brain in triggering regions of the brain which are essential for learning and creativity.
If you are searching for ways that make you include more laughter in your life, start with these steps:
- Laughing at yourself: it is very helpful to share the most embarrassing situations you’ve been in. talking about the situations where we took ourselves seriously, we have found the best method to take ourselves less seriously.
- When you hear someone laughing, just go and ask “what’s funny?” When people are sharing funny stories, they have a chance to keep on laughing again and again about the humor parts of it.
- Stay around funny people. People who have no barriers in laughing about anything, whether themselves or life, are the best people to stay with. They find something funny in every event and you are more likely to start laughing because their laughter is contagious.
- Make sure you keep something that reminds you to laugh wherever you are. For example, you can keep a toy in your office or you car; put a funny picture in your room; choose a wallpaper for your phone that makes you laugh; keep some pictures of you with the family or friends having the best moments of fun.
- Bring back the child in you. No one knows how to play and have fun as kids. Imitate them, try to be a child again and see how laughter will lighten your heart.
The worst enemy of the brain is stress. It causes the destruction of brain cells and harms the brain’s area related to the creation of new memories and the retrieval of the old memories, especially when not treated.
Meditation is a means to get rid of stress and enhance the memory at the same time. According to scientists, meditation has a lot of advantages when it comes to the brain. Studies have proved that meditation can heal several conditions, such as stress, depression, anxiety, insomnia, diabetes… It also helps in boosting concentration, creativity, memory and different skills. It is such a magical treatment that has the power to make changes in the actual brain. Regular meditators’ brain images revealed that the activity in the brain region responsible for feelings of happiness and calmness is higher than that of normal people. It is proved that meditation also helps in increasing the connections between brain cells, leading to the increase in the memory capabilities.
Moreover, our brain is also affected by several conditions, including depression, stress, anxiety and constant worrying. Focusing difficulties, issues in making decisions and remembering are also symptoms of such conditions. Therefore, if you face difficulties in thinking, deciding and remembering, you should try to solve this issue and see the difference in your memory.