There are no second chances in making a good first impression. You either benefit from the first seven seconds you have to make a great one, or it would be too late. You cannot waste more than this time, whether it is a face-to face first meeting, on the phone or online. You should know the way people build their initial judgments and how to control all the results. The tips listed below are very important and helpful:
1. See how people build their first opinion about you:
If the initial meeting is face-to face, you should know that 93% of an opinion is based on your body language or your physical appearance. The other 7% is affected by the words you use to say something. People are judgmental, and build their judgments from your appearance, unlike what is said about not being able to judge a book by its cover. On the other hand, if the meeting is over the phone, most of the judgment is made based on your voice tone (70%) and the rest on your words you use (30%).
2. Select your first 12 words cautiously:
According to studies, only 7% of your words count in forming a great first impression, yet these words should be selectively chosen. We all know that people appreciate when someone shows them appreciation. Therefore, try to express how grateful you are to meeting these particular individuals.
3. Use the other person’s first name right away:
Make sure you consume your first 12 words wisely in the first 7 seconds. It would be smart to use the other person’s first name during this period of time. In other words, you will reflect how much you value the other person and you will gain their attention by calling them by their name.
4. Be careful to your tidiness:
The first thing that people will notice is your look, mainly the hair and the face. If you do not pay attention to you grooming, you will be risking the whole relationship. It is important to appear with a professional hair style, because not everyone would be pleased to work with someone who is careless about his look.
5. Shoe-shining would be useful:
When you are meeting someone for the first time, he/she will definitely examine you from head to toe. When you come with poorly maintained shoes, some will think that your do not pay attention to details. Wear proper and polished shoes that seem appropriate for the business environment.
6. Use fast steps:
According to researches, people who walk 10-20% faster than normal ones, give the impression of important and active individuals. And of course, everyone needs to work with such kind of people. Impress the people waiting for you by walking fast.
7. Use a firm handshake:
Of course, the first thing you do when meeting someone for the first time is shaking hands. All business people agree that a business handshake should be solid. When shaking hands firmly, you will give the impression of being confident and ensure a very good start for conversation. As soon as your hands connect, tighten slightly your thumb on the back of the other person’s hand.
8. Make sure you have your business card on you:
Your image is affected by your business card and they way you handle it. Keep an enough supply of your business cards at anytime in case you accidently encounter a potential client. Make sure you don’t reach the situation when you have to say that you don’t have any more cards with you. It is not impressive at all, and it will show that you are not prepared to do business.
9. Let your body move with your words:
Show how happy you are to meet someone else by drawing a simple smile on your face. Do not lose eye contact so you show full attention. Try to lean toward the people you are speaking to so you get engaged in the conversation. Finally, use hand gestures and signals to look interested in the subject and to gain others’ attention.