By Marylin Elias
Once you set detailed expectations for each single employee in your company, you get to enhance poor performances, boost better ones and protect the best ones. If you want to make a list of the expectations you have for each employee, you should follow these steps:
- At first, you should spare at least 30 minutes of your time for each employee, without being interrupted, and write a list of expectations you have for him/her. You can use word documents, or you can write the draft list down on a piece of paper.
- Then, you must take a look on each employee’s job description and state the major requirements for the job. Also, make sure to write down a description of the meaning of excelling in these areas.
- Furthermore, try to imagine a perfect employee. Put altogether the qualities, experiences and information that this particular employee should have. Moreover, find out the reasons behind the good performances of your best employees. Make sure you mention all these details in the list
- Try to find 5 minimum behaviors that you don’t want your staff to have. Add them to your list under a “don’t” section or in a similar format.
- On the other hand, come up with the qualities that you consider to be most crucial ones. List the ones you want your team to possess that you’ve never discussed with them. Also mention the things you’ve tried to explain indirectly for.
- List the performance standards of your company along with the minimum expectations.
As soon as you finish creating the list, take some time to review it in case you’ve forgotten anything. Then, discuss with every single employee the content of your list and mention the parts where you’re employee is showing great performance and speak about the areas which he/she should work on improving.