One of our worst nightmares is to attend a boring, unsuccessful and useless meeting. Another terrible nightmare is to be the one holding the meeting and watching the attendees suffering. However, we all know that meetings are key factors for a successful business and a better work environment.
To guarantee interesting and successful meetings, you must follow several steps. Read below to become the master of meetings:
- Planning the meeting is the most important things of all. You must of course set the purpose of the meeting, the expected points to be discussed and the message to be delivered or the result to be achieved. While creating the plan, you might notice that this meeting will be a waste of time and figure out that an email can deliver the message more efficiently. Moreover, you must invite the right attendees and send them the plan before the scheduled meeting by one or two days. You must also provide them with the materials they are required to review before the meeting and highlight the fact that it should be reviewed.
- Another important thing is punctuality. When you set a specific time for a meeting, you must respect it. Begin on time and make sure that everyone is ready before it even begins. Don’t give late attendees the chance to ask you to repeat as of the beginning. However, tell them to gather the information they missed from someone who came on time. In case the meeting is of a short duration, you can make it a standing meeting. This way you ensure high energy among participants.
- Do not lose concentration during the meeting. When you plan, you set the duration for every point discussed in the meeting. Stay committed to that. Avoid repeating the same idea all over and ask participants to help you make this meeting fruitful and not repetitive.
- Make sure everyone is participating and listen to anyone who has something to say. You can also trigger a discussion with those who are not feeling involved, and ask them about their ideas. Also, whenever you think they are out of subject, try to bring them back on track by asking them a question related to their idea and the subject of the meeting.
- A meeting must end on time and with new tasks and responsibilities assigned to each one of the attendees. Do not forget to send a follow-up email, summarizing all the matters discussed during the meeting.
When you follow the above steps, you will get the chance to see people excited to attend your meetings and enthusiastic to participate.