Sara El Kareh
If you want to write convincing emails as well as influencing and persuading ones, follow these steps:
1. Begin with a note: Although it is a good way to get straight to the point, yet a personal note can change the whole course. Try to resort to more personal beginnings, such as “how was your trip to London?” rather than, “hope you’re fine.” When emailing a stranger, say something personal like, “I’m a big fan of your articles and was really impressed by the last article you wrote about politics.”
2. Discipline your feelings: When writing emails, we usually tend to let all the stress and anger slip through the words we type, such as unacceptable, not professional… Using these words can deliver the wrong message since there are no facial expressions that can ease the meaning. Therefore, look for other words and options that you think can deliver the right meaning in the right way and if you feel that you are too angry to write an appropriate email, then don’t.
3. Avoid long emails. Readers usually blank out when reader longer emails since they usually include many unnecessary details. The fact that you send longer emails doesn’t mean you’ve mentioned all points.
Try to use this outline:
- Start with 2 lines for the personal note
- Write 4-5 lines as the body paragraph
- Then use 2 lines to mention the required result
- Final 2 lines to conclude with a warm note
4. Make sure you re-read your email. You can only read it once, but it’s better if you do this twice before you send it, mainly when you are sharing details that may be misunderstood or when an action is to be made.
5. When sending an email in the middle of the night, make sure you draft it first, drink a cup of coffee, re-read it, fix the mistakes that you will definitely find, and you’re ready to click “Send”.
6. Check the subject line: make sure the subject line delivers the target of the email. If the email requires action, mention it in the subject line. For instance, if you are sending the email to the client or to a leader of the teams, write “Please, action required”, and notice how your email will get rapid reply and action as well.