By Sarah El Kareh
As a simple definition for strategy, it is taking the decision to get somewhere, plan a way to reach it and then start acting on getting there. Here’s what you want to start thinking strategically:
- As obvious as it may sound, you have to define your current position. Every action you are going to make will begin from where you are right now. Therefore, you should collect all possible information and data that define your actual position. Do not search for what is true, only work on having evidence for the truth.
- Think about where you want to be after a certain period of time. It could possibly be in 3 years, more, less, or even a shorter period of time, according to your current situation. You can use the several tools available in workshops, such us visualization, painting, thinking about the perfect image, etc. However, you can also simply take your time to think about it. Most importantly, aim at high levels, and think about them in details. The more detailed image you have, the more you can recognize what your needs are. Moreover, it is more effective to do it at home and at home. Make sure you think about the things you do not want to happen as well, and use writing or drawing to have a more concrete image.
- When you have the “future image”, think about the necessities and needs of your company or business. Think about where you see it and where you want it to reach. You should then know the priorities. Figure out the perfect position you want in details so you get the real answers about what is most important and what is minor. Spot the light on the first three problems or issues, then about the first five. You should even define in details anything that is not really important. In other words, identify the details of every single thing you think about or comes to your mind, then reduce the “list” to the most important ones.
- Then, it is when you have to solve the things between the phase of your current position and your future one. After you have the detailed idea about your future position, regardless of the period, you should think about the things you were able to achieve instead of just thing about what you’re actually going to do.
- Finally, you have to start taking action. You need to know how to move from your current position to accomplish the first step of the journey, then form there, move to the following step.