Sara El Kareh
We don’t usually have contact with higher authorities at work. Therefore, when we get the chance, we must know how to make the good impression, since these people are the ones who define your salary, give you promotion, assign your tasks and secure you job. No matter in what sector this is about, your impression for higher authorities is affected by several factors. Read below to get an idea about how to impress the higher level managers:
- Look for the bigger picture. You will be really appreciated when you do not stick to your assigned task. Show that you are thinking about upcoming issues, understanding the targets of the company and caring for them. By doing so, you will guarantee a very good first impression.
- Consider the different connections of your job. In other words, do not stick to what you have to do and try to understand how your tasks are connected to other departments or other jobs. High level managers are interested in realizing that company’s goals are accomplished through the operation of different functions altogether.
- Money is a key concern for managers. Try to show your interest in financial savings and you will definitely be showing how appreciative you are towards the financial issues that leaders have to handle every single day.
- Be smart to ask the right questions. When you show interest in the business, executives will tend to increasingly discuss their ideas and point of views with you. Make the best of the opportunity you had when you could communicate with managers above your boss, and prepare some questions that you have perfectly thought of.
- Be one of the employees who do not resort to the managers for problems, but to offer solutions. Sometimes, executives will not agree with your proposal or insight; however, they will appreciate your interest in thinking about solving issues.
- Executives usually take care of the bigger image of the company and are unaware of simple daily functional details. In fact, they would like to be more involved in the work flow. Therefore, try to update them with new info about clients, jobs, financial data, employees… They will appreciate it.
- Make sure you know that executives have no time to waste. Do not assume they can have long talks about any issue or project. Therefore, provide them with the information you have in a rapid and brief way. When they have time to know more, they will definitely ask.
- Most executives do not show respect to employees and expect the latters to respect their power at work. When you have a different idea or a disagreement with their point of view, they would be interested to know it, as long as you discuss it respectfully.
- When you get the opportunity to interact with high-level managers for the purpose of a presentation, have in mind that it’s the chance to reflect a positive impression. Make sure your presentation is one of the best and be well-prepared.