Sitting for long hours in the office and in front of the computer’s screen has become a dangerous disease that leads to back aches, slow blood circulation and low fat and calories burning activity.
That is why doctors warn against the repercussions of sitting for long hours and confirm that working for 11 hours daily instead of 8 hours, which is what most bosses and managers do, increases the possibility of having a heart attack and Arteriosclerosis.
The majority of people who suffer from the negative effects of sitting for long hours are employees who spend long hours sitting on their desks without moving. We often hear that they suffer from pain, and they usually have severe back ache due to their weak muscles, their overweight, and their lack of fitness.
In order to avoid having aches, and diseases resulting from sitting for long hours, the physiotherapist of professional Sportsmen in Lebanon, Rony kfoury, recommends the following:
- Stand from time to time and move your upper limb, lower limb, and trunk.
- Avoid sitting for long continuous hours and choose a chair that can keep your back straight in a way that your arms will be comfortable and your elbows will be on your desk at a 90° angle.
- Avoid lifting heavy weights and get the help of a colleague if needed to move a desk, a heavy chair or piled files.
- Have firm legs on the ground directly or supported from below.
- Keep your head at a straight position when sitting in front of the computer and avoid curving your neck as much as possible.
- Do sports exercises regularly to strengthen your muscles and increase their flexibility, thus limiting aches and contractions resulting from the sitting disease.
- Focus on healthy food that doesn’t increase the percentage of fat in your body.
Do not let fatigue and work pressures have control on you. On the contrary, walking from time to time to drink a cup of water or to check on the work of an employee can contribute to a less fatigue. In addition, playing sports and practicing a hobby with friends can lessen tiredness, physical and emotional pressures, and can enhance your vigor and vitality, thus increasing your excitement to work and your productivity.