How many times have you felt disappointed, unmotivated and mad when you receive a bad performance feedback? It happens to all of us and it’s not a dead end. All that matters is how you react to this review. You might believe that the feedback is incorrect and that the boss is being unfair and basing his review on inaccurate facts, all you have to do is to respond in a mature non-exaggerated way. Below are some ideas that can help you react the perfect way:
- Take into consideration the power of your boss; do not judge it or your job will be affected. If you are seeking for a promotion or any other specific goal at work, you need to satisfy your boss. Even though you are not very interested in what your boss is, you have to work on doing what he wants. However, if you think you are going to quit your job soon, then don’t give any attention to his point of views.
- Try not to react directly before thinking. Your boss will assume that you will get angry, mad, defensive or even aggressive. Therefore, amaze him by doing the opposite: stay calm and act mature. Everything else won’t lead to achieving any positive results.
- Regardless of what you think, whether the review was correct or not, you need to listen to the reasons. You should be aware of what led to such a bad review, understand the reasons and figure out the problem in your performance. When you try to understand your boss’s point, you will have higher chances to be able to change these thoughts for next time.
- As mentioned before, you need to understand in order to change. Ask about any unclear notes; try to understand what it really means but make sure you ask in a very positive manner, revealing no anger or disagreement.
- Now, when you want to discuss your opinion, do it logically. You must be ready to receive criticisms, offenses… However, do not fall for that; speak maturely, calmly and focus on your points. Negative reactions won’t help but worsen things.
- When you finish your one-to-one meeting with the boss, you have to get out with a clear idea about what they are expecting. After discussing everything, and before you leave, rephrase your tasks in a summarized conclusion so you can work on the right track for better reviews in the future.
- Many managers know how to offend rather than showing appreciation. When you have such a boss, make sure you request positive feedback in a mature and polite manner.
- When you think that the review is incorrect and you completely disagree for your manager’s evaluation, raise complaints. Refer to the HR department or to your boss’s boss. However, think about the consequences before you complain. You don’t know what your boss would do about it.