What is Cisco PPDIOO?
PPDIOO (Prepare, Plan, Design, Implement, Operate, and Optimize) is the network life cycle that Cisco defined. It consists of six phases or steps to help you design a network. These design phases are the following: Prepare Plan, Design, Implement, Operate, and Optimize.
What are the advantages of PPDIOO?
The main benefit of PPDIOO is to decrease the total cost of ownership. You can also plan for changes in the infrastructure and in the requirements for resources in a very proper way. In addition, because you are using a strong and robust network design and you are well validating your network operations, PPDIOO helps you improve your networks availability. PPDIO also speeds up the access to your network resources and applications.
Why adopt PPDIOO?
If you develop a complete system design ahead of time, you will notice that your projects will eventually find success and that your total cost of ownership will be enhanced. We all know that operations and maintenance have a great impact on the way in which the systems perform but they cannot make these systems more efficient than their original design. If you jump directly to the implementation phase without following a strong design framework, you can face loops of rework that will degrade the agility of the company.
Cisco PPDIOO model is one solid network design and a lifecycle approach that you can follow as a general design methodology. PPDIOO can be defined as the following:
- Prepare Phase: In this phase, you can establish the organization and determine the business requirements as well as you can develop your network strategy and propose a high-level architecture.
- Plan Phase: At this level, by gathering information, you can identify the network requirements especially those that include the services and the security. You can also build a project plan that helps you manage tasks, identify the responsible parties, define rules and set the milestones.
- Design Phase: You can check the provision of high availability, reliability, security, scalability, and performance. Moreover, you can build up the different lists, diagrams reports as per project plan and modify the project plan.
- Implement Phase: In the implementation phase, you can install and configure new equipment. At this level, any modification must be communicated to all team members and should be tested before going to the next phase. You can also define the proper guidelines.
- Operate Phase: At this step, you should monitor the working of the different devices and the network equipment.
- Optimize Phase: The optimize phase is a proactive network management. At this level, you can identify and resolve issues. To solve any problem, you can go back to your previous phases, make the changes there and then again test these modifications in the operate or the optimize phase.