What impact a name has on your business? If you are starting a small business, then the name is highly important. Choosing the appropriate name makes your company the talk of the town. The wrong name can ruin your reputation and lead to a defeat.
The chosen name should reveal the competence, value and uniqueness of the product or service you are selling.
Some experts prefer abstract names considering it a white board on which the image will be later on completed. However others think that a good name has to be informative conveying a clear message informing the customers about the essence of the business.
In fact, you can choose any name not matter how informative or abstract it is as long as a strong marketing plan supports it. Following are the points that you need to consider in order to find an adequate name for your business.
First step: decide what the name will convey
- Your name should underline the important and main elements of your business
- Prepare a niche and a description of your professions which helps you underline the main elements you want to emphasize in your name.
- Choose a name that attracts the customer, therefore less efforts are needed to extract the description.
- Use simple words or combinations of words over sophisticated words.
- Avoid strings of numbers or initials.
- Use expressive names that explain the business clearly; Its main job and location.
- Use signifying names that focus on what the business is about.
When looking for a name, keep the following points in mind
- Choose a name that not only you like it but one that is more likely to draw the attention of the customers you wish to win.
- Choose a simple name that gives the customers good memories so that they respond based on an emotional level.
- Avoid long and complicated names.
- Avoid charming names that only you understand
- Avoid the usage of the word “Inc.” after your name unless your company is actually incorporated
- Be original
At last, give your name a small test
After narrowing down the options you have found to four to five informative and catchy names, you are ready to search other trademarks to be sure that the name you have chosen is unique.
- Try to end up with three to five names that pass the tests
- Go over all the basic rules
- Choose the name that applies to your goal
- Which name is more adequate when describing your company
When you have finally decided, start by building your business with excitement. Choosing the perfect name is the first step towards founding a strong identity that should last until your business ceases to exit.