It is justifiable if you are like most of the people who rely too much on email even when it is far better to communicate through the phone. The email is a good means of communication since it gives you time to carefully choose your words and avoid saying something that should not be mentioned. On the other hand, you get to stay away from embarrassing conversations.
The emails serve you well but sometimes it is better to have a real-time conversation when the topics are critical in some situations. So it is more convenient to have a live discussion or at least over the phone.
There is no need to always have a real time communication, but be careful when choosing the appropriate mode of communication, and remember that the written forms of communication and emails might not convey the exact tone and intentions you have and that you wish to express.
Do not send emails in these six times and a rule that should not be broken.
Avoid using email for any of the following:
1. Giving serious assessment, especially negative comments.
2. Discussing important projects or tasks where you need to conclude the outcome, explain a certain data, or simply discuss something opposing to the assigned tasks.
3. Conveying a delicate or hard message, such as rejecting a promotion or a raise, arguing about attendance, or terminating a certain project.
4. When there is a one percent chance that your tone will be misunderstood when handling critical matters.
5. Situations where a part will be hidden and not handled in the discussion such as evaluating the performance and when the mode of delivery will deprive you of that.
The rule that should never be broken: Do not communicate through email when the conversation you are having is causing you anxiety and discomfort. This means that the conversation you are having is critical, emotionally charged, or lead to misunderstanding that you should have a real time conversation and not send an email.
Write an email in these two times
Communication through written modes like emails is valuable. Emails can be helpful in accomplishing daily routine. There 2 times where emails serve you better than real time communication:
- When you need to have after a meeting, you need to write down the minutes of meeting and save them as a record to use them later.
- When you want to provide someone with details of a complicated topic, such as a new process for database entries or login procedure.
Eventually, it is about applying the convenient mode of communication to every situation. Don’t use what suits you or what is comfortable for you, but use what better fits the situation in order to convey your message clearly.