Sara El Kareh
In order to become mentally tough, you need to do the following:
- You must know what your responsibilities are and what are not. Be responsible for your behavior, your ideas and your emotions only. Don’t think that other people can make things better for you. Sometimes, things that you cannot control happen, but you must be responsible for how you react to these things. Do not blame other people for whatever situation you are in or for the bad days you pass through or for getting angry. Instead, be responsible and accept the reactions as your own, and be aware that they are due to decisions you have made and blame yourself for them.
- Do not take things personal. Try to overcome obstacles and come out stronger so you realize that they are not personal. Take into consideration that all the actions of people around us are based on their character and nothing else. Never believe that someone is out for you or the world is against you. Just understand that the things that happen to you are due to the characters of others, which you are not responsible for.
- You must know that there is only one thing that you cannot do: You cannot expect the future. Do not waste time thinking about what is going to happen and trying to figure it out. All you need to know is that the action is in the present, at this time and that place, the future is not to be handled now. To be mentally tough, you should recognize that when you’re thinking about the future, you will be missing current details and will be distracted by what is going to happen rather than on current occurrences.
- Dreams are not real. Have this in mind. Not everything you dream of will work as expected. Life is full of ups and downs, and that’s what you should be convinced of. And of course, do not deny this fact for you will be facing it forever.
- You may sometimes think that holding on to the past will help us avoid loss. However, be aware that wishing to get things back to the way they were is only a dream. You should know that the past is from the past, regardless of how great it was. Do not look backwards, accept the failures as they are, and do not wish to go back in time. Just think of what your present requires. By thinking about how beautiful the past was, you will be missing a lot of chances you’ve got right in front of you.