Your company promoted you to the post of Manager. You will first live cheerful and joyful moments, but when you decide to test your own skills, the reaction might differ completely. Not all managers succeed because they might not be able to match the following requirements:
A manager should:
- Be so decisive: A manager without a strong heart will definitely fail in his/her job because sometimes s/he should use terms or words that might heart employees. For instance, s/he might give remarks concerning one’s hygiene like: “you smell bad, try to take a bath each morning”, one’s physical appearance: “your clothes doesn’t suit your work, do change it next time”, or one’s performance: “your performance is putting you at stake; either you ameliorate it or you are going to lose the job.”
- Be able to decide: a manager’s duty is to tell the employees about his/her decisions, set the goals, and supervise the flow of work. S/he has all the right to say “no” or reject any idea or work that stand as an obstacle.
- Deal with people more experienced or even older than s/he: the majority of managers have to deal with people that are cleverer, have a huge experience that s/he doesn’t have, and/ or are older than s/he. This is a hard task; only qualified managers can succeed in it. Just be courageous and self-confident when exercising authority on them.
- Should be reasonable with employees: exerting too much control on employees, yelling at them, nagging and demanding show that you are so weak and unreasonable. Your job is to make them love working with you by creating a calm climate. Put in mind that only positive attitude serves you and the company. Never do the opposite.
- Represent the company as whole: sometimes you disagree with the idea or opinion of your company, but no matter how much you were not convinced, remember that you are representing your company and have no right to mention your personal opinion or idea. Do not let the team know that you have a different point of view.
- Accept working with geniuses: your post sometimes force you to work with people that are so much clever; this fact might be offensive to you. So, try to use your intelligence to manage things out. Those people might shine more brightly than you, and; thus, you will surely be hurt. Snap on the wound and keep progressing.